Sunday, August 22, 2010

Question from Apples - Hair growth

I recently got a question from a visitor to the blog, Apples, and I thought I should share my answer to her as I am sure many ppl might have a similar question.

"I've recently cut off all my relaxed hair on my quest to embrace all things natural. any tips to get the growth process started?"

Hi Apples!


Congrats on your BC and good luck with your natural journey. There is really no secret to growing your hair. Our hair is always growing, the problem is because many of us don't understand how to care for our hair, just as fast as it is growing, it is breaking off. The key to seeing your growth is retaining it. And doing that is fairly straight foward if you are diligent about it.

The keys to success:

  • healthy mind, body and spirit - includes eating right/ supplementing your diet, exercise, drinking lots of water and reducing stress

  • clean scalp and hair - find a hair washing regimen that suits your lifestyle

  • moisture - you will need to ensure that your hair is well moisturised. Water, a good leave in, a sealing oil and baggying are essential

  • protective styling - it is important to protect the ends of your hair. They are dead, once they are damaged, you can't repair it. So be good to them and keep them out of harms way.

  • low manipulation - the less you handle your hair, the fewer opportunities to damage it.
Once you routinely practice these things, you will retain your new growth and so it will appear that your hair is growing faster than usual. That's only a sign that you are finally starting to understand what your hair likes and you are doing right by it. Feel free to check out earlier posts on my personal regimen and products I use, but they should just be a guide as all of our manes are different, have different needs and like different things.

That said, I would also say don't obsess over it. At the end of the day hair is just hair, it shouldn't define you. What you choose to do with it should be an expression of you, not the other way around. So I would say as you embark on this new journey in your life, enjoy every stage, learn as much as you can and do you! And thank you for letting me share in it!

Blessings
MzNappyTrini

No comments:

Post a Comment