Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My Quest for the Perfect Leave-in Conditioner


The perfect leave in varies with season, hair style, hair length, whether the hair is wet or dry, freshly washed or 3 weeks dirty. lol. My moisturizing routine is pretty simple: whenever I wash I use an adapted version of kimmaytube's leave in conditioner. On dry hair I usually moisturize by spritzing with diluted Infusium 23 and try to baggy often. I have used various combinations of creamy bases and oils in my adapted leave in but this summer I want to catch up on some experiments I have wanted to do for a while. In the past I have used Cantu Shea Butter leave in and hollywood beauty carrot creme hairdress as my primary base and jojoba, jbco, grapeseed and coconut oils as my oils of choice. 



I had promised to try using a cheapie rinse out conditioner as my creamy base a while ago and I FINALLY got around to doing it. I used Suave tropical coconut conditioner as my base and avocado and sweet almond as my oils of choice. I usually make big batches and store in the fridge which would last me 3-4 washes but this time I made a small batch that I used in 1 session. 

1tbs suave tropical coconut conditioner
1tbs aloe vera juice
1/2 tbs redken extreme anti snap
1 tsp avocado oil
1 tsp sweet almond oil

look at those juicy braids!

The result was pretty good. My curls were definitely moisturized and felt and look it. I will have to wait till my hair dries to see if that moisturized feeling lasts but I would say that it is a good alternative for folks who live in places that don't have KCKT or all these other US brands to choose from. Every country has shampoo and conditioner so if u find a rinse out that you can use as a leave in (I recommend suave, vo5 and tresseme) then go for it! Check out this link from TightlyCurly for more suggestions of conditioners that you can try and this one for what to look out for if you are considering this option for making your own leave in.

In the coming weeks I will be doing more experiments with the bases and oils I use. As of right now I want to try giovanni direct leave in, KCKT and maybe more cheapie conditioners. I also have a few oils in my stash to try as well: cocnut, tea tree, sweet almond, apricot kernel, grapeseed , jojoba and avocado.  If you would like to suggest a base or oil I should try go ahead and leave a comment or send me an email. Stayed tuned for more on my quest!

No comments:

Post a Comment